Friday, October 14, 2022

Digital Irony (and some artwork to go with it)

I have always disliked the process of making digital art while at the same time embracing it. I prefer the feel of pencil on paper and paint on canvas. I like to have a finished product I can touch. Digital work is illusory. Even when printed, it is simply a copy of what exists only in some ethereal digital plain. But here's the crux: digital tools make illustration so much easier.

I can "undo" mistakes, reposition segments of the artwork, experiment with textures and colors and simply make them disappear when they aren't pleasing. I don't need to buy costly paints or take the time to set up my palette. And digital is faster. What would take me days to create in acrylics or oils can be rendered in a matter of hours on the computer. In the world of illustration, time truly is money (or at least the greater potential to make money).

With that said, I have been creating digital art a lot lately. The convenience permits me to draw and paint during those fleeting moments I have each day.  I've been experimenting with textures and brushes with the goal of creating digital art that doesn't look digital. Is that irony?

Anyhow, here are some of my latest digital renderings. Some of these are available as stickers (and other things) at klwasden.redbubble.com.








All images ©2023 Kevin Wasden


No comments: